Photo courtesy of Social Media 123
A growing number of hiring managers are looking at how social media sites can help them find qualified employees. As the job market changes and becomes more competitive, it’s important to know how to utilize as many different job-seeking strategies as you can. Social media is a great place to network, promote yourself and search for positions that are the best match for you. The following suggestions may give you an advantage as you begin or continue your career search.
- Be aware that employers are frequently using social media to post positions. Through social media, they are able to target the specific kind of employee they’re looking for. As a job seeker, take advantage of this type of networking as you search for new career opportunities.
- Include relevant professional information in your social media profiles. This will boost your chances of being noticed by potential employers in your field of interest and expertise.
- Use as many social media sites as you can to market yourself. The more you use, the higher your chances are of finding a job. Facebook is popular among college students, but LinkedIn and Twitter can be just as helpful in your job search.
How Facebook can Help You Find a Job
Take advantage of some of the Facebook applications available for job searching. Search for career apps using the Facebook search box and then add some of these to target your specific needs.
- BranchOut incorporates your LinkedIn profile to Facebook, allowing you and your friends to view each other’s professional experience.
- BeKnown allows you to search through Monster.com’s job listings while you are logged in to Facebook.
- The CareerBuilder app on Facebook sends you notifications of positions that match the job criteria you designate.
- IngBoo is an app that lets you search for specific job criteria across a larger number of job sites like Monster, CareerBuilder and Simply Hired.
- Use Hire My Friend to promote your fellow job-seeking friends. When they use it, too, you can attract the attention of potential employers in your friends’ network, making this app a mutually beneficial one.
- Inside Job is yet another career app that can help you network by providing a place for you to upload your resume, research companies and search for available positions.
Job Hunting with LinkedIn
- Once you create your account, put in the time and effort to build a diverse professional network and create a strong profile.
- Use very specific keywords, making it easier for you to locate potential employers.
- Regularly follow companies that interest you so you remain current on their job openings and familiar with the organization’s information.
- In addition to researching companies, seek out the individuals who do the hiring within the company. By building a relationship with the hiring manager, you can find out about any new opportunities that present themselves and thus increase your chances of landing a job.
Don’t be shy about joining as many groups as possible and sending your qualifications out into the world. In the blink of an eye, social media has become one of the most effective job searching tools available today, so it’s time to start taking advantage of it!
This article was sent in by University Alliance and submitted on behalf of Villanova University’s online programs. Villanova offers an online human resources degree program in addition to HR certification courses. For more information please visit http://www.villanovau.com